Saturday, June 14, 2014

Stock-Bull Topping Underway Looks Just Like 2007's Last One - SPDR S&P 500 Trust ETF (NYSEARCA:SPY) | Seeking Alpha

Stock-Bull Topping Underway Looks Just Like 2007's Last One - SPDR S&P 500 Trust ETF (NYSEARCA:SPY) | Seeking Alpha



Here is an excellent article showing that we are currently near a stock market top as compared to how things happened back in 2007.  The downturn back then actually started in 2007, but most people would recall the great decline in 2008 as defining the bear market.  It will be very difficult to tell when the actual decline has begun in earnest.  We could be 20% down before people realize the bear market is here.



Since nobody will be able to tell exactly when the bear will arrive, my strategy is to buy TMF, the 3x 20+ year treasury bond ETF, at various times to build a big position by the time the bear market arrives.  It will go up while the market goes down.  I also have current long positions because I know the stock market will continue to rise indefinitely, and you need to make money while you can.



SPXL, the 3x S&P 500, is one of my long stocks.  I believe the S&P will only rise another 5% this year, but I can maximize my gains by being in a 3x ETF.  Another stock I own is CEFL, a closed-end fund ETF which pays a 16% annual dividend in monthly distributions.  So, I am effectively both long and short during this uncertain period of the stock market topping process.  We must make money while we can because a person only has so much time to build a retirement nest egg.

  

No comments:

Post a Comment