Tuesday, May 31, 2016

Peacocks, a Unique Watchdog

Peacocks are not only beautiful, but they are very interesting birds.  When my neighbor started raising peacocks a few years ago, I was apprehensive at first.  I saw a video one time of a peacock attacking a photographer.  So, I knew I needed to be careful around them.

A large peacock can weight around 40 pounds, and it will be bigger than a turkey.  It happened that the neighbor's biggest peacock, Buster, became friends with me after I started feeding it bread every day.  When he walks through the carport, I can hear him coming.  That's how big he is.

Buster is an excellent watchdog also.  Peacocks can actually fly to a certain extent.  They can fly more than 10 feet upward in a single flight.  Therefore, if you have a garage or carport, they will be on top of it.  Once they get on your garage, they can fly to nearby tree limbs to perch.  They can also fly directly to low hanging limbs of trees around your house.

At night, Buster will squawk at anything that moves.  He usually perches at night in a tree within 10 feet of the carport.  When I get up in the morning to get ready for work, he will squawk and let me know he is aware that I am up.  So, peacocks can be wonderful companions as well as beautiful birds.

No comments:

Post a Comment