Friday, January 9, 2015

Bears Growl At Bonds And Energy, So Buy Both | Seeking Alpha

Bears Growl At Bonds And Energy, So Buy Both | Seeking Alpha



Gary Gordon has written a great article about safe stocks to own in today's volatile environment.  First, investors here and abroad will probably be buying safe U.S. treasuries all year long just as they did in 2014.  Gary talked about some of his picks in this area.  I like TMF myself, the 3x long-bond ETF.  I have a core position, and I trade in and out of the stock during the market up/down cycles.  I recently made over 10% on a TMF trade, and I expect to have several trades like that this year.



On the other hand, I also invest long on some stocks which I think will make double digit returns regardless of how volatile the market behaves in 2015.  One of these stocks is VNQ, Vanguard's REIT ETF, which is primarily invested in commercial REIT stocks.  I bought the stock in the past month when I saw that it made a double-digit return in 2014, and I believe it will make 20% or more again this year as the economy and businesses continue to improve in 2015.



A second stock that I bought today is USMV, the iShares USA Minimum Volatility ETF.  Gary showed a chart of USMV where it gained around 22% in the past year.  I believe the stock can gain another 20% this year, and this is the type of stock that can make a person rich over time.  For example, if you make 20% per year on a stock for just 4 years, you will double your money over that period.



No comments:

Post a Comment